Monday, January 4, 2010

res-o-lu-tion

I promised Donna I'd tell her my New Year's resolution by sundown on New Year's Day. Since that never happened I wasn't sure if I was even eligible to make one. Does anyone know the ruling on that???

I remember standing in line at Furr's Cafeteria with my Bunny (grandmother) when I was a kid. She told Buffy (that's right...I have a Bunny and a Buffy) and me we could order whatever we wanted, but to not let our eyes get bigger than our stomachs. I learned a valuable lesson that day as I was forced to consume massive amounts of food (and further the epidemic of childhood obesity in this country). From my point-of-view, a New Year's resolution is just another opportunity to bite off more than you can chew. Less than 10% of the population ever realizes their resolution anyway. That being said, I think it's also important to point out that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I think resolutions would have a bigger chance of sticking if people got to choose which definition they wanted to use:

1. resolution (n) - a firm decision to do or not to do something (This seems so black and white and I've worked hard to live my life in shades of gray).
2. resolution (n) - the action of solving a problem, dispute, or contentious matter (I do this ALL DAY EVERYDAY...I'm personally leaning toward this definition).

I resolve to have a New Year's resolution by the end of the week.

Now, leave me alone and let me think...





No comments:

Post a Comment